With its roots in emerging economies, various "constraint-based Innovation" approaches (including "grassroots innovation", "jugaad", "catalytic innovation" and "social innovation") and especially the concept of "Frugal Innovation" have come a long way from focusing on subsistence marketplaces or "Bottom of the Pyramid" ("BoP") customers to being applied to address global challenges. At the Chair of Technology Management, within this research area, we primarily focus on exploring the concept of "Frugal Innovation" and related tools and methodologies, understanding its relevance in developed economies, identifying different technology transfers trends (including "reverse innovations") and new social entrepreneurship models.In particular, we aim to answer following research questions:
- Is "Frugal Innovation" gradually becoming a global phenomenon?
- How are the concepts of "Frugal Innovation" related to other concepts like "Jugaad" or "Gambiarra"?
- Which implications do "Frugal Innovations" have on new product development and R&D Management?
- How can businesses adapt their strategies, business models and value chain in order to succeed in reaching customers with "Frugal Innovations" globally?
- What are the new applications of "Frugal Innovation" in light of todays’ digitalized and more resource-cautious world, and how can companies use that?
Market driving at Bottom of the Pyramid (BoP): An analysis of social enterprises from the healthcare sector
In: Journal of Business Research 86 (2018), p. 234-244
, , , :
Reverse Technology Transfer from the East to the West – Evidence from R&D sites of Western Multinationals in China
In: European Journal of Innovation Management 21 (2018), p. 443-455
, , :
Towards a higher socio-economic impact through shared understanding of product requirements in emerging markets: The case of the Indian healthcare innovations
In: Technological Forecasting and Social Change 135 (2018), p. 91-98
, , :
Frugal and Reverse Innovation: Case Study Insights from a German Multinational
In: John Ettlie, Ron Hira (ed.): Engineering Globalization Reshoring and Nearshoring: Management and Policy Issues, Singapore: World Scientific Publishing, 2018, p. 193-203 (World Scientific Reference on Innovation, Vol.2)
A Systematic Literature Review of Constraint-Based Innovations: State of the Art and Future Perspectives
In: IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management 64 (2017), p. 3-15
, , , :